About Me

My photo
Los Gallardos, Almeria, Spain
Hi all, I'm a writer of a certain age and living in Spain. I'm Irish, with an English husband and four children + two grandchildren. Finished my first novel, ebook and paperback published and available. And in the middle of second novel with third in my head, this time a little foray into the land of UK ex-pats and a comedy I hope.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Things to do

I volunteer for an English 'library' in Spain.  We get so many new books per month which can be taken out by our customers only once until it then becomes a part of the general library.  I think it's a good effort mainly by volunteers.  Today is my day to run my hands over thousands of books, wondering when my book Just One Year will be on Amazon so that I can put a copy in the 'New' section and feel like a real author.  I think about visiting my library in the UK with its computerised system for takes/returns and have a little giggle as I deal with my customers - using a card index system.  Still, it works, and gives me something lovely to do on my duty day. Amazing how many discussions there are about books, and of course with computerised systems we now don't get the chance to chat with other people at queues etc.  Today is very hot and I should imagine that people will be spending lots of time on the beach with their books so I should imagine it will be a busy morning.  Love it.  Wonder when the Kindle will overtake paper books?  Yes, I have a Kindle but there's nothing better than a dog eared book IMHO but of course computerised systems are part of our brave new electronic world.  Makes you think;  I can't say how many times I just flick back to the cover of a book whilst I'm reading to get a sense of the book.  Sure you can do that with Kindle as well but not as instantaneously.  As an author been told again and again how important the cover of a book is, and perhaps I haven't always appreciated that;  I do now.

No comments: