About Me

My photo
Los Gallardos, Almeria, Spain
Hi all, I'm a writer of a certain age and living in Spain. I'm Irish, with an English husband and four children + two grandchildren. Finished my first novel, ebook and paperback published and available. And in the middle of second novel with third in my head, this time a little foray into the land of UK ex-pats and a comedy I hope.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Moors and Christian Fiesta in Mojacar Spain. Some serious thoughts for Saturday







This Fiesta dates back to the 1480's and is about the Catholic Kings' treatment of the Moors who lived in Mojacar in the south east of Spain.  Well that's the story but nobody knows if it's true.  But every year Mojacar celebrates the Moors and Christians fiesta. 

Now I don't want to be a grumpy lady, and it is really an amazing fiesta but.....  Spain is the latest country to join the 'bailout' in the Eurozone and, as yet, from my POV, down here in our seaside town there seems to be no acceptance of belt tightening, any sign of austerity is dealt with by the population mighty quickly.  In the north of the country the miners resorted to firing at the police with home made rocket launchers! 

Look at the costumes - they are really gorgeous aren't they.  The detail is amazing, the gold thread, the intricate design, everything from gold jewellery to the turned up toes of the shoes all similar, all amazing quality.  But OMG how much was spent? The parade went on for 2 hours and each group was different.  I should imagine the cost would have fed a small country for a year.  I could say I am being curmudgeonly, I really could, but bearing in mind that Spain would have a fiesta for the opening of an envelope it sort of paints the wrong picture in my eyes.  Nevertheless it was a great show which I enjoyed immensely.

Well, the business of Saturday must go on.  I've had my little rant and hope that you enjoy the pictures.  (Another new skill, importing pictures and cropping etc!!!!). 

Have a good weekend y'all.

No comments: